Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Time I Got a Henna Tattoo at Camden Market

So I was a little late updating the blog with my July 4th adventures, but I'm trying to get back on track for today. I know, I know, you all missed me bunches. Today we spent most of the day in class - imagine that - listening to Dr. Sauer's very last lecture of the program. We learned a lot about sex estimation: how different cranial features and pelvic features, as well as sexual dimorphism in bone size and shape, can help determine whether an individual is male or female. After class, we decided to explore Camden Town. Just a 25 minute walk from Regent's College, Camden Town is an indoor and open air shopping district full of shops and stalls. Camden Town is actually comprised of several different markets: Camden Lock Market by the canal, where the original craft markets were; the Camden Stables Market, a giant converted horse stable that is now home to many alt-fashion stores, Inverness Market, Buck street Market, and the main streets of Camden. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been with three friends I would have never found my way out of the Stables, let alone Camden. My advice: bring a map. It's really just a completely overwhelming area full of places to shop, eat, shop, drink, and shop. You can find everything from clothes to souvenirs to jewelry to handicrafts to antique shops and furniture stores. With the unique fashion, the crowd, and (surprise) the heat of the day, it almost reminded me of walking through the streets of Harajuku in Tokyo. As we were wandering aimlessly through the stables at the end of the day, we came across what else but a henna tattoo stall! Mallory and Holly and I each got intricate flower designs drawn onto our skin, then spent the next four hours staring at the dried dye and using up all our willpower not to scratch it off before the ink set in. I can't post pictures from the device I'm writing on, but I'll Tweet a pic so you can all see the cool designs! Whew. Sorry for the short post, but I promise I'll save all my creative juices for tomorrow after I visit the Royal College of Surgeons and the Wireless Music Festival! Link of the Day: Camden Market: http://www.camden-market.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment