Monday, July 16, 2012

The Time I Used the Correct Fork For All Four Courses

After our osteology exam - and our last day at Bournemouth University - on Thursday, it was time for some much needed food and fun. Naturally, we headed straight to our favorite pub...for the third time since arriving in Bournemouth. Now as I've mentioned before, our week on the beach was especially chilly, rainy, and windy. Having packed for summer weather I ended up buying a particularly warm and fuzzy BU sweatshirt at the school bookstore, which I proceeded to wear every single day for the rest of the week. For those of you keeping score at home, yes: this meant that it was the third time in one week that I went to O'Neill's, sat at the same table, ordered the same thing (wild boar and chorizo burger, yum) and wore the exact same sweatshirt. YOLO. After that slightly embarrassing experience and so many days of looking grungy, I was happy to have an excuse to dress up for our program banquet that night. If I do say so myself, I think I pulled out all the stops: curled my hair, put on real makeup, and wore a dress. Everyone looked amazing (some, including myself, almost unrecognizable out of sweatshirts and jeans) as we gathered in one of the hotel's dining rooms for our very formal four-course meal. We could tell it was a formal event because of the amount of silverware present... three forks, three spoons, two knives, and two glasses. We even had to ask our resident etiquette expert (Holly, who went to finishing school) which utensils to use first. Over four courses (including melons and raspberries, plum tomato soup, potatoes and roast, and chocolate mousse) I managed to avoid spilling anything on myself or my neighbors, and all together pretended to be a lady quite effectively. The banquet was kind of a bittersweet affair, as we said goodbye to Dr. Sauer and Amy, our TA of the first three weeks. Dr. Sauer staged his own impromptu "passing of the torch" by handing one of the lighted candles on the table to Dr. Fenton, who will take over classes once we get back to London. When we finally went to sleep after staying up very, very late talking and saying goodbye to Dr. Sauer, none of us awoke again until close to noon. Overall I'd say the banquet was a success, and we're all looking forward to our next few weeks in London. Links of the Day: Which Fork to Use: http://tiffanynielsen.com/which-fork-do-i-use/

No comments:

Post a Comment